When I wake up with a cold, or with the feeling that I'm fighting a cold, there are a few things I do automatically. Drink a glass of water containing several drops of oregano oil. Take a hot shower and scrub down my skin with ginger body scrub. Massage vapor rub into my chest.
Vapor rub is a great addition to any medicine cabinet, especially when it's organic and homemade. It smells better than the store-purchased vapor rub, and works just as well. Not only that, but it's really easy to make. Here's how:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons beeswax
- 25-30 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 20-25 drops rosemary essential oil
- 15-20 drops peppermint essential oil
1. Melt the olive oil & beeswax in a small saucepan on low heat until melted. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon.
2. Turn off the heat & stir in the essential oils. Personally, I prefer a stronger scented rub. If you find that your rub is too mild for your liking, you can melt down the mixture to add more essential oil.
3. Pour the mixture into a small glass jar or tin container. Store in a cool, dry place for up to a year.
Here's wishing you a healthy spring!