Oil diffusers are simple and inexpensive to make with just a few common products, and they last a long time. They can be decorative as well as fragrant, and you can recycle your decorative glass bottles. Here is the tutorial:
- Small glass bottle with a narrow neck (1/2 the length or less of the diffuser reeds) - the more narrow the neck the better as this will force the oils to travel up the reeds to diffuse their scent rather than evaporating up through the neck
- 1/4 C. Carrier oil
- Essential oil of choice
- Splash of vodka
- Diffuser reeds (available at most craft and hobby stores, although bamboo skewers from grocery stores work just as well)
- Pour carrier oil into the glass bottle.
- Add 12 drops essential oil.
- Add vodka to the oil mixture
- Place the reeds in the oil mixture, and let them sit for one hour.
- Remove reeds, turn them upside down, and stick the opposite ends into the oil.
- Rotate the ends of the reeds or skewers once each week to refresh and prolong the fragrance.