I have recently received quite a few requests for river rock necklaces to accompany the earrings I make. I wanted to make something that could be dressed up or down, so decided to go with a Bohemian braided bead necklace and bracelet. Here's the tutorial:
140-150 size 8/o seed beads (I actually use size 11/o seed beads, but they're really little)
a 10-13mm 2-hole button or necklace clasp
1. Cut the waxed linen cord into three 24" pieces. Align three ends, create a loop around your finger, and secure with a knot.
2. Place a tack through the loop and pin it to your work surface.
3. Start braiding the strands. After braiding one inch, begin to braid in the beads. Thread a bead onto the outer left strand. Push the bead against the base of the braid, and cross the left strand over the middle. Thread another bead onto the outer right strand. Push it to the base of the braid and cross over. Keep a finger at the base of the braid, holding the beads in their place and keeping the braid tight. Continue threading on beads before crossing over each strand.
4. Braid in a pendant, as desired. Then, finish the necklace with another inch of braided cord, measuring it around your neck to be sure it's not too short or long. Tie a knot.
5. Thread on a two hole button – two strands through one hole and one strand through another. Secure it with a second knot. Otherwise, pull your thread through a necklace claps and secure with knots on either end.
6. Trim the ends.