These zesty, moist, and wholesome scones taste scrumptious served with a dollop of fresh yogurt. With each bite, you'll smack your lips together and yearn for more.
1.5 cups brown flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt
Lemon zest from one whole lemon
For the icing:
8 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- Have ready an ungreased baking sheet.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Drop in butter. Cut in the butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender, tossing pieces with the flour mixture to coat and separate them. The mixture should resemble coarse bread crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, and lemon zest.
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture, and turn over with a spatula until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gather dough into ball and knead it gently until all small pieces adhere and the bowl is fairly clean. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and pat the dough into an 8" log, approx. 3/4" thick. Cut into 2-12 wedges and transfer to baking sheet 1/2" apart.
- Bake until tops are golden brown (12-15 mins).
- In the meantime, make the icing. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice, stir until sugar has dissolved. If the icing is too runny, add more sugar.
- Remove scones from oven and let cool for 5 mins. Sprinkle with icing. Best when served a little warm.