2 C. dried black beans
4 C. water
6 large tomatoes
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 C. chicken stock or vegetable broth
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Red pepper flakes
Red hot sauce
Directions (2 days):
- Place beans in a large bowl covered with water. Let stand (covered) overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Cut tomatoes in half. Stuff slices of garlic into each half. Sprinkle with oregano, salt pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Place face down in a baking pan.
- Roast tomatoes until skin browns and separates from each tomato.
- Remove from oven. Let cool.
- Transfer beans to a Dutch oven. Add stock/broth. Cook on medium high until tender, stirring occasionally, approx. 45 mins.
- Add carrots and onion. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, approx. 20 mins.
- Pull peels off tomatoes. Add tomatoes (with juice) to soup. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve while hot. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, red pepper flakes and hot sauce.