Once again, Ashley created a very gratifying soup...savory, a little spicy, a little sweet, a little sour...a perfect blend of flavors. This may be my new favorite!
2 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 C. onions, chopped
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
3 corn tortillas, cut into 1" pieces
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can roasted green chile peppers
4 C. chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne
2 C. chicken, shredded and boiled with any of the spices listed above
1.5 C. frozen corn kernels
1/2 C. heavy cream
Salt and pepper
1 C. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 Avocado, cut into 1" cubes
Fresh lime, cut into slices
1 C. additional corn tortilla slices, sauteed until limp but a little crispy on the edges
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute for 3 mins.
- Stir in tortilla pieces and saute until they are limp.
- Add tomatoes, broth and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, let cool 5 mins.
- Use blender to puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to soup pot.
- Add chicken, corn and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 mins or until the soup thickens.
- Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Garnish with cheese, avocado, salsa, sour cream, lime and extra tortillas.