soup...one that is always requested by Cymone.
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 C. onion, finely chopped
1 C. chicken or vegetable broth
1/3 C. tomato paste
4 large (2 Lbs) ripe tomatoes, peeled and quartered
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 C. half-and-half
2 Tbsp. honey
salt and pepper, to taste
Pre-made puff pastry sheets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Unroll puff pastry sheets, cut rounds smaller than bowl tops. Place rounds on baking sheet & bake until golden. When done, set aside on wire rack to let cool.
- Melt 2 Tbsp in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, approx. 5 mins.
- Add broth, tomato paste and tomatoes. Throw in thyme and bay leaf Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tomatoes are tender (30 mins).
- When the tomatoes are tender, remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Puree soup in a blender. Return to pot.
- Add remaining butter and half-and-half, honey, and seasonings. Heat through.
- Serve, top with puff pastry and garnish with parsley.