Sunday, December 25, 2011
Banana, Almond & Cranberry Scones with Orange Glaze
2 C. flour
1 C. rolled oats
1 Tbsp baking powder
6 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter
1/2 C. dried cranberries
1/3 C. sliced almonds
1 banana, mashed with a fork
1/3 C. honey
1 large egg
1/2 C. plain yogurt or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Have ready an ungreased baking sheet.
- Whisk together flour, oats & baking powder. Drop in butter, cut into pieces with 2 knives or pastry blender. Stir in cranberries and almonds. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together banana, honey, egg and yogurt/cream.
- Mix wet mixture into dry mixture with spatula, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gather dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides of the bowl 5-10 times, turning and pressing loose pieces into the dough until the bowl is relatively clean.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board, pat dough into 8" round, approx. 3/4" thick. Cut into 8-12 wedges and place at least 1/2" apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake until tops are golden brown, approx. 12-15 mins.
- Serve warm.
To Make The Orange Glaze:
- Combine 1/2 C. powdered sugar with 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice and 2 tsp orange zest. Sprinkle onto scones after they have baked.