Thank you to Susan for this week's tasty soup! She offered a hearty, aromatic Lentil Minestrone served with salad and cornbread. Yum!
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 c finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 c chopped parsley
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 carrots, diced
1 c diced celery or celery root
salt and pepper
1 c green lentils
2 bay leaves, 8 parsley branches, 6 thyme sprigs
9 c water (I used beef stock from slow-cooked beef)
Tamari to taste (I used balsamic vinegar instead)
1 bunch greens -- mustard, broccoli rabe, chard or kale
2 c cooked small pasta
grated parmesan for topping
- Heat oil in wide soup pot.
- Saute onion with 2 tsp salt until lightly browned, about 10 min.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, aromatics, vegetables and cook 3 min more.
- Add lentiles and water/stock and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until lentils are soft.
- Season for salt and pepper (soy sauce works well at this step).
- Remove aromatics and season at the end with balsamic vinegar. Serve with grated Parmesan.
|Several of our Soup Night enthusiasts (one just lost a tooth)|