Monday, October 3, 2011
Tomato Lentil Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 C. onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 C. broth
2/3 C. lentils (any color)
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1/4 C. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried or fresh oregano, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
1 Tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
1/2 tsp ground pepper
5 large fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent. Stir in broth, lentils, carrots, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir together tomato paste, parsley, thyme, tarragon, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove bay leaf from soup. Add tomatoes and stir. Add one cup of the soup liquid to the tomato paste and stir until smooth (to prevent lumping). Add the tomato paste to the soup, stir gently until it is heated through.
- Add salt and additional herbs as needed.
- Serve with garnish of fresh or dried parsley.