garlic you harvested? These pickled onions are HOT, excellent on top of grilled meat.
4 quarts peeled and chopped onions
1 C. canning salt
2 C. sugar
1/4 C. mustard seed
1 Tsp black pepper
2.5 Tbsp horseradish
2 quarts cider vinegar
4 Anaheim peppers
4-8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
4 bay leaves
- Sprinkle onions with salt. Add cold water to cover. Let stand 12-18 hours.
- Drain onions, rinse, and drain again.
- Combine sugar, mustard seed, pepper, horseradish and vinegar in a large pot. Simmer for 15 mins.
- Pack onions, Anaheim peppers and garlic into hot 1-pint jars. Add 1 bay leaf to each jar.
- Ladle hot liquid over onions, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, adjust 2-piece caps.
- Process 10 mins in boiling water canner.