1.5 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup dried rolled oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt or heavy cream
1 tbsp grated orange zest
For the icing:
8 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp grated oranze zest
1-2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- Have ready an ungreased baking sheet.
- Whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Drop in butter. Cut in the butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender, tossing pieces iwth the flour mixture to coat and separate them. The mixture should resemble coarse bread crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt (or cream), and orange zest.
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture, and mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gather dough into ball and knead it gently until all small pieces adhere and the bowl is fairly clean. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and pat the dough into an 8" log, approx. 3/4" thick. Cut into 2-12 wedges and transfer to baking sheet 1/2" apart.
- Bake until tops are golden brown (12-15 mins).
- In the meantime, make the icing. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice, stir until sugar has dissolved. If the icing is too runny, add more sugar.
- Remove scones from oven and let cool for 5 mins. Sprinkle with icing. Best when served a little warm.