Friday, July 8, 2011
Sushi rice, cooked and drizzled lightly with rice vinegar
Fish and/or vegetables of choice, chopped into narrow 6" slices
- Feel both sides of the nori sheet and you will find one side to be a bit smooth and the other a little rough. The nori should lay on the bamboo mat with the rough side facing upwards.
- Wet your hands. Make a ball with a handful of rice, and gently place in the middle of the nori sheet. Make sure your hands are dry to work with nori - spread the rice over nori (I use a wet spatula), covering all but the upper 2cm border.
- Place a fish and vegetables in a conservative line on top of the rice along on the bottom edge of the nori.
- Using the lower end of the bamboo mat, make a rectangular shaped hill, and begin to tighten the mat from ablove, closing the nori into a roll.
- Continue to roll and tighten simultaneously, holding the mat securely closed. Place pressure on the nori from all sides.
- Use a sharp, wet knife to cut roll into 6" rounds.
- Serve. Top with soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds.