Saturday, July 16, 2011
3 quarts fresh beets
2 cups sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tbsp whole allspice
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
- Wash beets, drain. Steam until tender, peel. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients (except beets) in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer for 15 mins.
- Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Cut beets into bite size (I like to use cookie cutters & save the leftover scraps for salad toppings), pack into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Ladle hot liquid over beets, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece caps.
- Process pints and quarts 30 mins in a boiling water canner.