1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
Vegetable stock or broth
2 bay leaves
2 large whole garlic cloves
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp vegetble oil
1.5 cups chopped onions
1/2 lb chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp salt (optional, to taste)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup brown/whole grain rice
fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place chickpeas into a large soup pot, add stock/broth until it reaches 1 inch able the level of the chickpeas.
- Add bay leaves, garlic, oil and simmer until chickpeas are tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Periodically replenish stock/broth, keeping the chickpeas covered with an inch of liquid.
- Once chickpeas are tender, remove bay leaves and garlic.
- In a separate pot, cook rice and set aside.
- Sautee onions, chicken, minced garlic, and spices in oil on low heat until onions are translucent and chicken no longer pink.
- Add peppers, carrots, tomatoes, salt and sugar and simmer for 5-10 mins until peppers are tender.
- When the chickpeas are tender, stir in the vegetable-spice mixture and more stock if too thick.
- Heat on low for 10-15 mins to blend flavors.
- Serve the soup on top of rice, garnished with toasted coconut, fresh lime juice and cilantro.