- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cups Bluebird Grain Farms flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Pepper to taste
- Variety of vegetables/meat for filling (approximately 3 cups)
- Tomato sauce or pesto optional
- Cheese of choice
- Semolina flour or corn starch
To Make the Dough
- In a small boal, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, olive oil, salt, oregano and pepper. Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it's no longer sticky and a stiff ball of dough has formed.
- Place ball of dough into a large bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in volume.
To Make the Calzones
- Grate cheese, chop vegetables/meat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Oil large cookie sheet & sprinkle with Semolina flour or corn starch.
- Split dough into 4 balls. Form dough into rounds and roll out into large, flat circles.
- Cover 1/2 the crust with toppings.
- Fold crust over and press closed with fork.