Sunday, June 28, 2015

Parsley Mint Pesto: Recipe

Can you really have too many herbs? Too much parsley? Too much mint? This week I harvested them by the multitude of handfuls to make pesto. I find that, when mixed together, neither tastes overwhelming. Mix in 2 cups of pistachios, garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper, and the result is delectable. Try this pesto on in pasta, as a spread for toast or crackers, or toss it into a vinaigrette.

Here's the quick recipe.

Parsley & Mint Pesto

4 C. fresh parsley
4 C. fresh mint
2 cloves garlic
2 C.
1 C. olive oil
1 seeded lemon, rind included
Salt and pepper, to taste

Throw all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
With a spatula, scoop blended mixture into an ice cube tray. Put in freezer and let sit overnight.
Remove pesto cubes from ice cube tray and transfer to ziplock freezer bag.


Saturday, June 20, 2015

Nature Prints: Tutorial

I've been hiking a lot this season. Not only do I love the connection with nature, but I'm able to clear my head. I marvel at life's beautiful simplicity when I'm out wandering, and my thoughts are not cluttered with civilian stress (apparently I'm more of an introvert that I realized). My time spent alone is sacred.

During my last hike I took photographs of plants, as I always do, that inspire future jewelry designs. I had seen nature printing before, mostly by local artist Sara Ashford who creates exceptional garden-grown plant-printed fabric. I decided to try a very basic rendition myself to see if I could capture a tiny bit of the beauty found while exploring our nurturing mountains.

Nature Prints: Tutorial

Here's what you need:
Watercolor paper
Paper towel
Hammer (I have a plastic mallet that I use for silversmithing)
Fresh leaves

And here's how:

Pick a handful of fresh leaves. Herbs are fun because, not only do they have sufficient water in their leaves to transfer to paper, they smell delicious when hammered.

Sandwich a leaf/flower between the piece of paper and paper towel (paper towel on top). With your hammer, gently tap on the leaf until the juice bleeds through the towel.

Remove the paper towel. Pull up the leaf. If any plant sticks to the paper, wait until it has dried to scrape it away. Otherwise it will smudge.

An optional step to this project is to cut out the plant prints and turn them into gift tags.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Bad Excuse: (but) Life Gets In The Way Blog Delay

My life hasn't gotten in the way exactly, but it has caused me to set this blog on the back burner for a time. With spring came a feeling of urgency to install our irrigation and gardens, accompanied by jewelry shows and orders, a work vacation to Kauai, and a road trip to Vegas. Summer break, mother-daughter time, solo hiking adventures, pot"lakes" with friends, more jewelry orders, a new puppy...

Admittedly, I've brought this daily fullness on myself. I am responsible. I wouldn't have it any other way. Life is so beautiful - how can we possibly do it all? It just means that I can't tackle everything at once.


I'm happily heading to my studio this morning to fill orders, and then out for an evening hike. There, inspiration will blossom into my next blog post.

Until then.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

May Round Up: A Port Folio of Jewelry

This has been an intense month in my studio as I prepare for the ACRE show in Las Vegas. I pushed my silversmithing skills in directions I didn't anticipate. I worked hard to create a relatively comprehensive port folio of my work, and only a few times per week did I veer away from my goal to tackle one of my frequent must-do-immediately-or-I-might-freak-out inspirations (which I generally have at least once daily). The month has been extraordinarily beautiful, including a quick side trip with a friend to Agate Beach to collect rocks, huge steps forward in our garden (installing irrigation and raised beds), lots of snuggle time with my husband and daughter, a few hikes thrown in to keep myself sane, and stunning, sunny days.

So then, here's a round up of this month's work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...